15 Famous Turkish TV Series

Turkish TV series have become all the rage. Not only do they attract millions of Turkish viewers every single night, but they continue their popularity in other countries, as well. Having been sold to many other TV channels all around the world, these TV series are Turkey's primary means of cultural export.

Below are 15 most popular Turkish TV series both in Turkey and abroad.

Aşk-ı Memnu

Aşk-ı Memnu (Forbidden Love) was broadcast on Kanal D between the years 2008 and 2010. Being one of the most successful TV series in Turkish television history, it stars Beren Saat as Bihter Ziyagil. After its final episode, Aşk-ı Memnu was sold to foreign TV channels and was broadcast in many countries including Iran, Pakistan, Bulgaria, Israel and Ukraine.

Aşk-ı Memnu (Forbidden Love)
Aşk-ı Memnu (Forbidden Love)

Muhteşem Yüzyıl

Also known as The Magnificent Century, Muhteşem Yüzyıl is a historical fiction Turkish TV series based on the life and reign of Suleiman the Magnificent, and especially on his relationship with Hürrem Sultan. Having been watched by approximately 200 million viewers all around the world, Muhteşem Yüzyıl has been an international success, especially in countries such as Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Greece and Macedonia.

Muhteşem Yüzyıl (The Magnificent Century)
Muhteşem Yüzyıl (The Magnificent Century)

Binbir Gece

Binbir Gece (One Thousand and One Nights or Arabian Nights) is about the interesting story of Onur (Halit Ergenç) and Şehrazat (Bergüzar Korel). Halit Ergenç, one of Turkey’s most famous actors, actually married Bergüzar Korel after the finale of Binbir Gece. So far, the TV series has been broadcast in more than 55 countries including Chile, the United States and Argentina.

Binbir Gece (One Thousand and One Nights)
Binbir Gece (One Thousand and One Nights)

Sıla

Sıla turned out to be a huge success after it was aired in Saudi Arabia, Greece, Serbia, Montenegro and so on. It revolves around the eastern part of Turkey and the traditions there.

Sıla
Sıla

Dila Hanım

Also known as Lady Dila, Dila Hanım is an adaptation of a very famous Turkish movie. Starring Hatice Şendil and Erkan Petekkaya, this TV series focuses on a revenge story between two feuding families, namely Barazoğlu and Karadağlı families. Will love find its way? Only time will tell.

Dila Hanım (Lady Dila)
Dila Hanım (Lady Dila)

Asi

Asi ran for two seasons, between the years 2007 and 2009. Following its huge success in Turkey, it has gained worldwide popularity after being aired in 67 countries. This huge success brought about the nomination of Asi in the Best Soap Opera category in 51. Monte Carlo Television Festival. Thanks to Asi, Tuba Büyüküstün (Asi) and Murat Yıldırım (Demir) became well-known, especially in Arab countries.

Asi
Asi

Fatmagül’ün Suçu Ne?

Fatmagül’ün Suçu Ne, also known as What is Fatmagül’s Fault?, is the second most widely watched Turkish TV series, right after Muhteşem Yüzyıl. It has been aired in many countries including France, Indonesia, Morocco, Iran, Greece and Georgia.

Fatmagül'ün Suçu Ne? (What is Fatmagül's Fault?)
Fatmagül’ün Suçu Ne? (What is Fatmagül’s Fault?)

Aşk ve Ceza

Aşk ve Ceza (Love and Punishment) is among the top 5 best-selling Turkish TV series. It has been sold to 60 countries and has achieved huge success, especially in European countries.

Aşk ve Ceza (Love and Punishment)
Aşk ve Ceza (Love and Punishment)

Adını Feriha Koydum

Adını Feriha Koydum  focuses on the life of a poor and pretty girl named Feriha, who is the daugther of a doorkeeper in Istanbul. One day, she meets Emir, a rich and famous boy studying at the same university. Things get more and more complicated as they fall impossibly in love with each other. Having been aired in Turkey for two seasons, Adını Feriha Koydum has been a TV phenomenon in Arab countries and the Balkans. It is also the first Turkish TV series to be broadcast in India.

Adını Feriha Koydum
Adını Feriha Koydum

Öyle Bir Geçer Zaman Ki

Öyle Bir Geçer Zaman Ki (Time Goes By) is about the tragic events surrounding Akarsu family in the 1960s. Based on a true story, this TV show has been so successful, especially in the Balkans, that Macedonian government had to restrict its broadcasts in an attempt to reduce its effects on people.

Öyle Bir Geçer Zaman Ki (Time Goes By)
Öyle Bir Geçer Zaman Ki (Time Goes By)

Gümüş

Starring Songül Öden (Gümüş) and Kıvanç Tatlıtuğ (Mehmet), Gümüş captured the hearts of millions of viewers all over the world. It was broadcast in Turkey between 2005 and 2007. Following its final episode, it was aired in Saudi Arabia as well as Bulgaria, Albenia and Pakistan.

Gümüş (Silver)
Gümüş (Silver)

İffet

İffet was first broadcast in 2011. It ran for two seasons before it was aired in Macedonia, Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan and many other countries. İffet stars Deniz Çakır (İffet) and İbrahim Çelikkol (Cemil).

İffet
İffet

Küçük Kadınlar

An interpretation of the classic novel Little Women, Küçük Kadınlar revolves around the lives of five girls whose parents tragically die in a car accident. The final episode of the TV series is especially touching. It has been quite popular in Bulgaria and Kazakhistan.

Küçük Kadınlar (Little Women)
Küçük Kadınlar (Little Women)

Ezel

Starring Kenan İmirzalıoğlu (Ezel) and Cansu Dere (Eyşan), Ezel was one of the most popular TV series in Turkey between the years 2009 and 2011. Ezel’s popularity has far reach, which was proven after the TV show became popular in South America, immediately after the Balkans.

Ezel
Ezel

Kurtlar Vadisi

Kurtlar Vadisi, also known as The Valley of the Wolves, is mainly about politics, mafia and the terrorist attacks in Turkey. It would not be wrong to say that it is one of the most successful TV series in the history of Turkish television since the Valley of the Wolves has been going on since 2003. Having reached such devoted fans, Kurtlar Vadisi led to three movies, namely Valley of the Wolves: Iraq, Valley of the Wolves: Gladio and Valley of the Wolves: Palestine. The movie Valley of the Wolves: Palestine has been the most expensive production in Turkey so far. It was released in 100 countries all at once.

Kurtlar Vadisi (The Valley of the Wolves)
Kurtlar Vadisi (The Valley of the Wolves)

18 Responses to "15 Famous Turkish TV Series"

1. زينب   March 20, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Bvkkhn

2. Merve özbey   March 22, 2016 at 3:25 am

And of course merhamet series Özgü Namal ibrahim çelikkol

3. ahmedalrayah   March 25, 2016 at 8:21 pm

مهندس خريج بكلاريوس هندسه ميكانيكيه سوداني الجنسيه حاليا تحت التدريب ابحث عن عمل

4. Asif   December 15, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Feriha is the most successful TV Series in Pakistan. Love Love Love from Pakistan.

5. Geraldine Wasserman   February 3, 2017 at 1:52 am

I have just finished watching EZEL.
    From start to finish I couldn’t stop watching it.
    It was like a great book that I couldn’t put down.
    Even with the sub titles I loved it,
    I enjoyed it so much! Fantastic!
    The only thing is, the ending. It left me feeling confused!!
    Is there a second season?

6. Carmen Negron   February 14, 2017 at 8:58 am

I would like to buy the series Sila in Spanish. Also I want to buy the CD music to Sila.
    What do I have to do ?

7. achea   February 22, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Whay about ‘kara para ask’ here in ethiopia it is the most popular series

8. Mavis Welsh   February 27, 2017 at 6:25 pm

i have watched up to episode 72 of Ezel – leaves in mid air – when in the second series being put on Netflix.

9. Mavis Welsh   February 27, 2017 at 6:32 pm

When will we have more Karadayi, Kacak, and Magnificent Century – i have really enjoyed all these shows and would really like to see how they end. Great Turkish TV. And Subat – this was surreal in places but superb characters and so many twists and turns of plot. and great philosophising. I’m sure i missed some understanding as i could only read sub titles, but i did really enjoy it – and the hints of humour interspersed the story line. Loved the gang. Thank you.

10. mavis welsh   February 27, 2017 at 6:41 pm

And i almost forgot Binbir Gece – which after all the stress and happiness also ended on a critical note – really do need to see them get married. more please .

11. Arshpreet Kaur   April 21, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I am from India and have watched Feriha , Fatmagul , Little Lord ,Kuzey Guney and currently I am watching ‘ A love story’. I love Feriha and Fatmagul a lot. I just love them a thousand times especially Feriha. Me and my friends love this drama reallyyyyuy much but we became very sad on Feriha ‘s death in the drama. In short I really liked these dramas. And this was a kind of introduction of India to Turkish culture. Turkey and it’s culture is really awesome and it’s culture is really rich. Turkey is really beautiful also. I wish at some point of my life I will be able to visit this amazing country. …..Love from India. ☺

12. Arshi Sayed   May 9, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Assalamualaikum turkish people we are nd my frnd also thankfull for this beautifully opportunity to seeing that lovely Dramas like Feriha nd A love story I love so much the A love story serial and especially fan of Seckin Ozdemir whose is very talented actor because of that serial my heart wishes I really want to learn Turkish language aa i could understand serial of Seckin Ozdemir and Turkey.I really love and infinite thanks for broadcasting this serial A love story.Plz Actors come In India for doing work also in India bollywood industry.lotz of love From India.

13. preeti rawat   May 25, 2017 at 2:32 pm

i love watching turkish dramas they are so different from what we see usually in india.i am a big fan of fatmagul and kuzey guney.

14. angela   June 7, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Beautiful stories …..in this crazy world!! American film makers should learn about the real life and how important is LOVE . I live here I do not have anything to watch, looking for turkis,,, telemundo movies and TV series Thanks to turkish film makers

15. N   July 6, 2017 at 2:03 pm

My favorite drama so far is Ask Laftan Anlamaz.. I watched it from the beginning to the end… Sad that it finished but I hope there will be another season of it… It should definitely be in the list above! :)

16. EE   July 26, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Ask-i Memnu breaks my heart every time I watch it. But I have a question for turkish people- is the story of Akarsu family really true? I’ve been looking but I can’t find any proof… Of course I can’t understand turkish, but there’s no information in english. Thanks!

17. Am   September 8, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Exactly…specially kurtlar vadisi and ezel

18. jaya   September 8, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Please put all the episodes ofAsi with english subtitles in you tube